Bikes and Bills

Question:
Who pays my medical bills if I am hit by a car while riding my bicycle?

Answer:
Many people are surprised to learn that auto insurance typically pays first for medical care needed to treat injuries caused when you are struck by a car while riding your bicycle. Whose car insurance pays and under what coverage, however, is more complicated.

If you own a car, then your own car insurance pays for medical bills under the PIP coverage part of your policy. PIP coverage is mandatory in Florida so every Florida insurance policy has it. PIP coverage pays 80% of each medical bill related to the crash. Some car insurance policies include Medical Payments coverage, which pays the other 20% that PIP doesn't pay. Medical Payments coverage is optional so your policy has it only if you chose to purchase it.

If you do not own a car, but live with a relative who does, then the PIP coverage on that car pays the same as if you owned the car.

If you do not own a car, and do not live with a relative who does, then the PIP coverage on the car that struck you pays your medical bills.

Under each of these scenarios, the insurance company pays for medical expenses as you receive the treatment, and the medical provider handles the submission of the bills for payment.

Of course, you may also have a claim against the at-fault driver under his or her liability coverage. And, you may have a claim against your own insurance company under the uninsured motorist coverage part of your policy. However, those claims operate much differently, and are a whole other topic by themselves. Check out the next installment of FGB Buzz to learn more about how those claims work. Thanks for reading, and remember to forward this on to anyone you think may be interested in today's topic.

Firm Blogs Articles Hot Topics
VIEW PRACTICE AREAS

PRACTICE AREAS

our office location

Frohlich, Gordon & Beason, P.A.
18401 Murdock Circle, Suite C
Port Charlotte, FL 33948
Phone: 941-787-3289
Toll free: 800-430-6443
Fax: 941-979-9250
Map and Directions

View or download our Frohlich, Gordon & Beason, P.A Brochure

Contact Us Today!

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy