Who Pays If I'm Hit While Riding My Bicycle?

Who pays my medical bills if I am hit by a motor vehicle while riding my bicycle?

Many of our full-time and seasonal residents regularly enjoy riding a bicycle whether for pleasure, exercise, or as a means of transportation. Unfortunately, riding a bicycle comes with its own set of potential hazards, including accidents with motor vehicles. It is important for bicyclists to protect themselves by knowing and following all the relevant state and local traffic laws.

However, if you are injured by a motor vehicle while riding a bicycle, there are certain insurances that might cover you for your accident related medical bills. Many Florida bicyclists are surprised to learn that if they are hit by a car, the bicycle rider’s own auto insurance provides benefits even though the cyclist was riding a bike and not driving a car when the crash occurred.

If you own a car in Florida, your policy will include mandatory insurance coverage known as "PIP" which stands for Personal Injury Protection. This typically provides up to $10,000 to cover portions of your medical bills and/or lost wages resulting from being injured when you are hit on your bicycle.

However, even if you do not own a motor vehicle in Florida at the time of the accident, you may still be covered under the PIP statute. If at the time of the accident you reside with a resident relative who owns an insured motor vehicle in Florida, you may be entitled to PIP benefits under that policy.

Finally, if a bicyclist lives in Florida, doesn’t own a car, and doesn’t live with a resident relative who has auto insurance, then the bike rider may make a claim under the "at fault" vehicle’s PIP coverage if that vehicle is insured and registered in Florida.who pays

Hopefully this helps to clarify some of the questions regarding insurance coverage and benefits extended to bicyclists for accident related medical bills. Follow the law, ride safe, and have fun!

Firm Blogs Articles Hot Topics


our office location

Frohlich, Gordon & Beason, P.A.
18401 Murdock Circle, Suite C
Port Charlotte, FL 33948
Phone: 941-787-3289
Toll free: 800-430-6443
Fax: 941-979-9250
Map and Directions

View or download our Frohlich, Gordon & Beason, P.A Brochure

Contact Us Today!

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy